Pet Emergency Clinic
|Posted by petemergencyclinic on May 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM||comments (0)|
UPDATE TOPIC- WHEN PETS ARE HOOVERETTES
Dear Fellow Pet Lovers,
Recently, I treated a beautiful, young adult Labrador Retriever that had
ingested a long piece of cloth that was blocking his intestinal tract.In
addition to causing the obstruction, the frayed cloth began to act like
a string. The small intestines bunched up around the "string", causing
the intestines to be cut. Despite having over 2 hours surgery including
removal of a foot of non-viable small intestine, removal of the string
and all multiple repairs of perforations, this fine young pet did not
Why am I giving you this "bummer" story during the holiday season?
Because your pets will have meny opportunities to ingest foreign
materials during this season.
How to avoid such problems?
-Never leave your pet alone with foreign materials such as ribbons,
wrapping paper, or even towels.
-Be certain that any pet toys are safe- I have seen them swallowed
-Do not leave food on the counters when a dog is around. I have had to
surgically remove a large turkey bone from the stomach of a small Lhaso
Apso one Christmas holiday.
As always, it is smart to anticipate possible problems before they
occur, especially when there are pets around.
But if you do get into trouble this fine season and it is business
hours, call your DVM. If the problem occurs after hours, PetER at
That is all.
Dr. John Emerson, Pet Emergency Clinic
|Posted by petemergencyclinic on May 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM||comments (34)|
Tylenol (acetemanophen) has been marketed as the super-safe pain reliever that does not cause stomach upset like aspirin does. Over and over, the safety and lack of intestinal side effects have been touted.
Yet recently, even for humans, Tylenol and its generic versions have been found to be not as safe as previously thought. Especially if the human has liver disease or is a heavy drinker of alcohol, Tylenol has been found to be not such a good choice. Yet the marketing of safety of the product continues.
DO NOT USE Tylenol in dogs and ESPECIALLY in cats!
It is toxic in fairly high doses in dogs and in very low doses in cats. In fact, one Tylenol in cats may cause death.
If your pet has pain and you hink it needs a med, have it examined by your DVM and have that DVM prescribe an appropriate product. Do not ever use Tylenol in dogs and cats.
If your dog comes to the Emergency Clinic for Tylenol poisoning, the prognosis is guarded at best. We do have a product to treat the problem, but the product is most effective if given shortly after ingestion. If we suspect tylenol poisoning but are not sure, we can run a blood test at a local hospital and get the diagnosis. tylenol will show in the blood test within about 2 hours of ingestion.
Best bet is to respect Tylenol and its generics substitutes as powerful drugs that should be kept from our pets.
That is all. Talk to you next week
|Posted by petemergencyclinic on May 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM||comments (0)|
Welcome to the Pet Emergency clinic. We are here to help clients handle out-of hours emergencies and nursing care.
Your family veterinarian is your pet's best friend and advocate. Yet your family DVM cannot be open 24/7 and be really fresh and alert when your pet needs her/him.
We are here to handle that time period that is outside normal business hours. Our expert DVM's and staff will treat your pet as you would wish, with all info going back to your DVM when we are through.
The best way to avoid emergencies is to follow a few simple rules as follows:
1) Feed only a high quality diet and do not let your pet be overweight.
2) Observe the leash laws
3) Keep vaccinations current and have at least annual wellness checkups at your DVM's.
4) Own breeds of dogs and cats that are known to have few health problems.
For times when even the above was not enough, the Pet Emergency Clinic is here for you. Just come in or call 337-562-0400.
"Lets be careful out there."
Dr. John Emerson